Admission Process – International Students
Admission Process – International Students
Applications for admission for students on a student visa must be made using the Application for enrolment – international students. Students must complete the Application for enrolment and send the completed application to Imperial along with supporting documents. Completed Application for enrolment is processed by Imperial and the application assessed on the basis of the information supplied. The participants for each program offered by Imperial will be selected in a manner that reflects access and equity principles. Completion of the Application for enrolment does not imply that Imperial will make an offer to the student. When prospective students apply to enter Imperial to study, the following procedure applies:
English Language Requirements
All international students should be able to meet the English requirements as required under the assessment level and country of passport of the student by Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). Further information available on www.border.gov.au
Imperial accepts the scores from International English Language Test Score (IELTS), PTE Academic Entry or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as below:
|IELTS (Academic Module)||TOEFL (paper based)||TOEFL (Internet based)||PTE Academic|
|Overall band score of 5.5||527||46||42|
Applicants whose English results falls below above score will need to enrol in an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS). Arrangements will be made for the student to complete the ELICOS course with one of our associate providers at the student’s expense.
Assessing Australian equivalency of academic qualification(s)
Overseas academic qualifications presented to Imperial for admission by and international student are assessed for equivalency as per the below table:
Year 12 Equivalent for admission into Imperial Courses*
|Bangladesh||Completion of Higher School Certificate with a grade average of 50%|
|China||Successful completion of Senior Middle 3 with a B grade or 75% average in 4 academic units|
|Fiji||Successful completion of Form 7 with a B in English and Maths and a pass in all other units, with an overall score of 240|
|India||Completion of the All India Senior School Certificate or State Board|
|Indonesia||Completion of SMU III with an average grade of 7.0 in 4 academic units|
|Nepal||Completion of Higher Secondary School Leaving Certificate (Year 12) with a grade average of 50%|
|Pakistan||Completion of Higher Secondary School Certificate (Year 12) with a grade average of 50%|
|South Africa||Successful completion of Year 12|
|Sri Lanka||2 passes in GCE A-levels or equivalent|
|Thailand||Successful completion of Matayom 6 with a GPA of 2.0|
|Turkey||Successful completion of Lise Diplomasi with GPA of 3.0|
|Uganda||2 passes in GCE A-levels|
|Vietnam||Successful completion of Year 12 with a 6.0 GPA|
This is not an exhaustive list, admission officer must contact the CEO if the applicant has presented educational documents from countries not listed in above table before accepting the student into Imperial courses
Assessing claimed work experience
If an applicant is using work experience for the purposes of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and or admission into Imperial course, admission officer must ensure all claimed work experience is relevant to the qualification being applied for and be within the last 2 years of date of application.
The applicant must submit a CV along with reference letter on official company letterhead providing contact details of the employer. If in doubt about the authenticity of the submitted employment reference, admission officer must contact the past employer before issuing any letter of offer to the student.
Admission Officer will follow the following step by step process once completed application along with all supporting documents are received either from the applicant directly or from his/her education agent:
- All the required information is completed on the application form including signature of applicant and date.
- Assesses the applicant’s previous educational qualification(s) (either obtained in Australia or overseas) necessary for studying at the required level of the proposed qualification.
- The applicant is also assessed to determine whether they meet the required entry level qualification(s) for the particular qualification in which they wants to enroll.
- Applicant’ s English language skills (language and literacy) will be assessed. If student has a satisfactory score in IELTS, TOEFL or PTE Academic, the applicant will be admitted to his/her chosen course. Refer to the Policy on Assessing English Language Proficiency (International Students)
- If an applicant cannot produce evidence of a satisfactory English score, and there are doubts their English language skills being sufficient to cope in an academic environment, the applicant will be required to sit an English test (at the student’s expense) or to enrol in an English (ELICOS) course for an appropriate duration until the applicant achieves the required English score.
- In a situation where the student can demonstrate that he or she can communicate in English but cannot produce any formal English qualification as described above, then the student will be required to complete an English language test in Melbourne.
- Details of the student entered into the student management system.
- Applicant and/or the education will be sent an offer letter by the admission’s officer generated from student management system
Applicants wishing to accept the offer must pay the fee requested in the letter of offer. Once the fee is received by Imperial along with signed student agreement, the admission officer will:
- Ensure the student agreement is duly signed and dated by the applicant
- an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) is generated from PRISMS and sent to the Student/education agent to facilitate the issuing of a student visa. Applicants must then apply for a student visa at their Australian Student Visa issuing centre and make travel arrangements to Australia once the student visa is granted.
- Soft copy of the eCOE is saved on Imperial drive and student management system updated
- Administration Manager will do an internal audit on an ongoing basis for the applications finalised during the week to ensure all applications have required supporting documents and the application form and student agreements are duly signed and dated.
- Any discrepancies found during the process will be immediately rectified by the Admissions officer